5 Benefits of a Career as a Web Developer
Twenty years ago, if you asked kids what they wanted to be when they grew up, chances are they’d say a doctor, lawyer, musician, or astronaut. Fast forward to today, and the responses may also include a famous Instagrammer, fashion blogger, or the next Mark Zuckerberg. A career in tech has become somewhat of ‘rockstar’ status, and underlining them all is one profession in particular: Web Development.
Despite being the fundamental skill behind everything we do online, there is still a significant lack of understanding as to what exactly a web developer is. As such a new disciple, many of the mature web developers are self-taught, which leads to the common misconception is that in order to get into tech, you already have to be tech savvy.
However, as one of the most in-demand jobs right now, there are hundreds of companies looking to hire this position across the globe. With plenty of opportunities and ways to grow, there are many reasons to consider this career. So we polled leading web developers in Vancouver to learn some of the benefits of being a web developer. Here’s what they had to say…
- Unleash your creativity. Not only can you conceptualize and design a site from start to finish, but you also can create something tangible and impactful. For the creative types, web development allows an outlet to let your talent unfold.
- Always wanted to start your own tech company, or take on a freelance position? With a good portfolio and a few referrals, you can work from home or part-time, which is a great option for parents or anyone looking to bring in some extra income.
- Flexibility. The tech sector has a reputation for forgoing the typical 9-to-5 schedules. As long as you have wifi, you can basically work from anywhere. Plus many companies like Hootsuite and Google are known for their incredible perks, including beer kegs, cafeteria, and nap pods. All free, all the time.
- Demand, demand, demand. Oh, did we mention there’s a lot of demand? There’s a serious shortage of web developers out there, which is why we guarantee job placement within six months of graduating from our Web Develop Program at RED Academy. Needless to say, as long as you’re skilled, you’re going to find a job ““ often straight from graduation.
- You’ll never stop learning. Tech is always evolving, so be prepared to roll with the changes. It’s fair to say there is ‘no ceiling’ when it comes to what you can learn and what you can do with it.
Colin is the CEO / Managing Director of RED Academy. He originally started his career as a classically trained musician and sound engineer, before switching to the tech industry where he has been working for the past 15 years. While he sounds British, don’t let that accent fool you; his roots are Dutch, and he calls Amsterdam his hometown.
Also the founder of Drive Digital, one of Western Canada’s biggest digital agencies, Colin is inspired by watching people create and seeing them find fulfillment in doing something they believe in. Colin is excited by the idea that the Internet connects us all, increasing transparency and accountability. He strongly believes that purpose is a bigger driver in people than profit, which will lead us to a better, fairer, more conscious world – values that dictate the foundation of RED.